Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf - with substitutions and improvements!
Below is one of my favourite loafs to bake - it has ingredients you feel good about and a light flavour to enjoy as a dessert or snack. I've listed the recipe as is, and put substitutions beside that I like and have tried. You can use some, all or none of these improvements to increase fiber and protein, remove animal products eg. dairy, eggs, or make it 'challenge-friendly' for you and your family. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar* *1/2 cup natural honey or maple syrup will do
- 1/2 cup softened butter* *coconut oil, lactose-free or organic butter
- 3 eggs (large)* *organic, free-range or use chia seeds (1 tbsp/3tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup organic yogurt* *NO sugar added, plain, lactose-free
- 1tsp vanilla* *I have used 1 scoop Progressive Vanilla whey protein powder instead
- 1.5 cups quinoa flour* *try brown rice flour, or gluten-free all purpose flour if you need
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds* *if substituting eggs with chia seeds you may not need
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest (from one washed/organic lemon)* *add juice from grated lemon to the wet ingredients
Cream butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer. Add eggs, yogurt & vanilla; mix until combined.
Combine flour, baking powder, poppy seeds and lemon zest in medium bowl. Add to egg mix, combine until smooth.
Pour into loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Bake 40-45 mins at 350 degrees C. Let cool 15-20 mins before removing from pan.